[school-discuss] Discussion About Linux on Linkedin

On the social media site Linkedin, in a group called International Society for Technology in Education, a discussion is underway titled, "Who else out there is using Linux in their classrooms?" Between the dotted lines below is one recent posting:

I'd be curious about how the end user enjoys working with Linux. Us
techies can overlook problems or make a random connection with a Linux device,
but I know there are teachers that would be completely confused.
Students would be confused as well, especially if there are
Chromebooks/PCs/Macs in the building.

The Chromebook is priced so extremely well, and it's so easy and simple to use,
that I feel it has beaten Linux to the punch in the education area.

I understand the software is free, but any time students/teachers spend
on learning the tech is time away from using the tools on the web and doing,
learning, researching, creating, etc.

I want kids to pick up a device and get going into the curriculum and
creation, not learning one of the 100's of Linux versions...

Am I being too harsh? Thoughts?

This should be some tasty meat for you evangelists to dig into. I look forward to seeing your responses.

Joel

###