Re: [school-discuss] viruses and the list

On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 05:12, Leon Brooks wrote:

> Reading your mail and browsing the web is *much* safer under Linux
> anyway. I use and strongly recommend KMail on Mandrake Linux 10.0.

Or Ximian if you want something that is very "Outlook like". I agree
with Leon entirely. I have an XP based laptop and this Linux box running
side by side. The laptop gets spates of virus notifications but good AV
software means it is never infected. Most of the viruses have spoofed
E-mail addresses so I get messages occasionally saying I have sent
someone a virus when in fact the virus is simply using my address
because it was in an address book of someone who has my E-mail address
in it. On the Linux machine I have never had a virus and I have no AV
software (though some get sent and they get deleted with the spam). Also
I get very few viruses sent from this list (which shows most of the ones
other people are getting are from other sources) because I changed the
E-mail address I use on this machine fairly recently so it hasn't had
time to get into as many address books and generally those that it has
got into are likely to be more experienced people many of whom would not
touch MS Outlook with the proverbial barge pole!

Regards,
--
ian <ian.lynch@zmsl.com>