Re: [school-discuss] my puzzle about OSS in education

Rob brings up a good point. The cost of Mavis Beacon and other proprietary software on every PC and at home means that the application is generally not available to all students neither in the home nor at home for most students. Further, we have found that a lot of students with new PCs at home have MS Office Basic Edition, which lacks Powerpoint. By switching to OSS and OpenOffice, all students will have the same software at home as at school, which means they can learn how to *use* the program out of school, and focus on how to develop content using the application in school. Instead of learning a skill in school (how to use a particular program), we hope they'll transition to learning how to organize, plan, and communicate effectively. Unfortunately, there are few, if any, metrics for these elements.

Speaking of which, we also want to try out OpenWorkbench, and the cost of MS Project certainly underscores Rob's point; we could never afford to put Project on all school PCs and most parents probably couldn't afford it either. Don't know how good this will be for elementary students, so is anyone aware of an OSS project/planning application for young people? Also, it doesn't seem to run in Linux (of all things!) Does anyone know of a Linux Project OSS application that they like?

Daniel