Re: [school-discuss] Korea brings homegrown open source to schools

Great article Doug, I forwarded this to another parent who doesn't like the idea of his child's elementary school moving to Linux because "Microsoft Office is what they'll be using when they grow up". Along with the article, I noted that when I was in elementary school, we watched TV on US-made TVs and listened to vinyl records on US-made record players, neither of which exist anymore...

By the way, I set up a conference call yesterday with our four principals, who are either switching to Linux K12LTSP or considering it, and two other US principals who switched to Linux/K12LTSP for their schools, and as expected they only had good things to say about it. Some of the interesting comments that came out of the conversation:
1. One K12LTSP principal said a hidden benefit of Linux/OSS was that it provided for more 'inquiry-based' learning, since her high school students could examine the code and even work with it if they chose. This resonated well with our principals since most of them are working on international baccalaureate (IB) status for their elementary schools.
2. The other K12LTSP principal said he still had Windows 95/98 PCs at his school in order to run legacy Windows software, but that he would not let them be connected to the Internet as a measure to prevent viruses and other malware. The Linux thin clients are the only ones that can access the Internet.
3. Another important comment, since our principals have schools in fairly high income districts, was that one of the K12LTSP principals also had mostly students from higher income families, and could have put any system they wanted in place, cost was not really the issue, performance and reliability were, and that's why they chose Linux/thin clients.

Daniel