Re: [school-discuss] On site cache of web pages

Thank you for these helpful responses.

We are currently behind a firewall; I'm not sure we need to get too
much heavier with something like ipcop.  Our main interest at this
point is for students to be able to access science sites within a
reasonable time.  There is one other issue that might be useful to ask
about---streaming video.

I have found it problematical to view streaming videos that would be
extremely useful for my classes.  I have been looking for a way to
save them on my machine at night, and show them during the day.
Apparently our firewall renders it difficult, if not impossible, to
view these streaming feeds at all.  They are Real media, at least the
ones I am thinking of.  Other bandwidth sensitive science demos will
also be interesting to store on our cache.

The docs for squid are a bit daunting for me, and I'm not sure how to
start.  Perhaps we can just use a single machine for a demonstration
of concept setup; perhaps using a wireless router in our building.
Even with slow HDDs the access would be a lot better than our current
bottleneck.  I am interested at this point in just caching
pages/files, and not in firewall filtering as such.

Thanks again,

Alan Davis