[school-discuss] What converting to Linux can do for a school

Today, in our local paper, the Atlanta Journal Constitution, it was reported that Brandon Elementary scored top in the District of Atlanta Public Schools and third in the state on the standardized tests used here in Georgia. This is the school where William Fragakis and I converted all the old, nonfunctioning PCs into Linux thin clients running K12LTSP, got over 100 donated PCs from businesses, and bought over 60 new NTAVO thin clients at $99 each and ended up more than tripling the number of working PCs in each classroom.

Scores were up across the board, and math scores, in particular were up sharply this year. All of the teachers have told us how much having all the Linux PCs have improved things, but this is the first hard evidence. Not that I'm a complete fan of all the testing that goes on here lately, but test results are paid attention to by decision makers, many of the ones we want to convince of the benefits of open source software and thin client architectures.

Thanks to the group for all the support!  Daniel