Re: [school-discuss] linux distributions for low resource computers,

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 03:02:25PM -0700, Dean Montgomery wrote:
> In regards to server load...  We can run around 100-150
> diskless clients per server.  A LTSP server bogs down at 30
> workstations.

In Atlanta, they say 2x2 core opterons with 8G RAM and 6x1Gbps
bonded ethernet run 70 to 120 terminals per server:
http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/SuccessStories#Local_Net_Solutions_installs_7_s

> The price of client hardware has dropped and the speed and RAM
> of donated hardware is getting better.  So instead of running
> all the apps on the server, have the workstations do the work.
> LTSP is great when you are working with 32 megs of ram and a
> 486 computer.

It's just as great for PIII-500/64 or C7-1000/512, even if these
could do some work.  Centralizing on a server was cheaper for us
than reducing the maintenability...

> As companies start donating faster computers to schools and/or
> you decide to purchase some now-inexpensive new hardware, then
> you can move toward a diskless solution.

BTW is there any inexpensive thin client hardware you'd recommend?

The cheapest lookalike (unavailable locally) is ex-AMD PIC:
http://www.dataevolution.com/dectop%20info%202.htm (~$100)

Most stuff attempted to be sold is rather at $300+ and includes
unneeded flash with unneeded software (be it WinXPe or Linux) --
working PXE stack is enough.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>