Re: [school-discuss] What should school firewalls keep in/out?

On Wednesday 06 March 2002 22:39, you wrote:
> Where, oh where, to start.

Real can o' worms, I think.

> For K-12 schools, I think http _should_ be the only one open. If other
> ports are needed, leave them open too, but make sure they are _absolutely_
> needed. They don't need to be in chat rooms or on ICQ, all they need is
> http, so they can search the web for information on the topic they are
> given.

Agreed.

> Universities are a bit different, though. IRC is pretty important to some
> people.

Not sure why IRC is needed.

Computer Science students may want to join a project that goes
> along with what they'd like to do when they are out of school. Then they'll
> have some practice. But, what if the only good way to get involved is
> through a chat room? Then they can't do as much.

Hard for me to imagine that being the "only good way".

Where I attend college, SSH-2, email, http and blackboard are available from
off-campus. On campus, telnet and VNC are also available. This makes it
possible to tunnel home via SSH-2 / VNC.

I used to do my schoolwork on my home computer because access to the school
computers was somewhat "iffy" and also because it was a cool way to "sell"
the other students on "the open source way". :-)