Re: [school-discuss] Meanwhile, a PR would be good

General Education Online has met several key quarterly goals and has made
significant progress on 2.1.0rc2 -- once March finishes, the release and so
forth will be posted to the geo website.

Michael
At 07:16 AM 3/25/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>Dear Schoolforgers,
>
>I suggest we all pitch in and add some news items below. We can work on an
>article, but we should meanwhile put out an April 2nd news release (can't be
>fools) -- we've got a lot of great new members.
>
>What do you think? Here's a thinly-veiled possible rewrite of the last press
>release. Suggestions welcomed. Corrections required. Momentum needed.
>
>David
>--
>SCHOOLFORGE UPDATE, April 2, 2002
><P>
> Schoolforge is a new coalition of schools and organizations supporting
free and
>open
>resources, including software and courseware, in and for education around
the
>world.
><P>
><B>SCHOOLFORGE NEWS</B>
><UL>
><LI><B>Coalition Grows;</B>
> Schoolforge membership grew to 67 strong by March 24th, 2002, having
begun life
>in January 2002 with just 31. They are located on every continent but
Antarctica
> [...]
schools
>themselves, or whole districts, to join schoolforge.  A list of our newest
>members is included below, but a full list is available on the Schoolforge
site.
></LI>
>
><LI><B>More Information</B>.
>In addition to a description of Schoolforge's mission and methods,
visitors to
> will find news, software, and curricular resources made available by our
member
>organizations, as well as a full membership list and
> instructions for joining us.
><P>
> Media and candidate organizations wishing to learn more about Schoolforge
are
> welcome to contact us at
></LI>
></UL>
>
><B>RECENT ACCOMPLISHMENTS BY MEMBERS:</B>
><UL>
>
> <LI> Schoolmation Improves Web Accessibility<BR>
> Australia -- DATE<BR>
> Story of rewriting app to meet open access standards
> </LI>
>
> <LI> Manhattan Leads Local School to Open Source<BR>
> Massachusetts, US, DATE<BR>
> Story of working with local school/library.
> </LI>
>
> <LI>LTSP Broadens Utility: Features First Mac Version<BR>
> Somewhere, US, DATE<BR>
> Story of New Mac LTSP Howto
> </LI>
>
><LI>MimerDesk Releases New Version; Plans new product<BR>
>Story of Schoolmation update</LI>
><LI>
>
><LI>Shadow
>
><LI>RULE
>
><LI>Jeff Nelsen's open computing curriuclum on a wiki
>
><LI>What's yours?
>
><LI>Where's the EduML progress?
></UL>
>
>NEWEST MEMBERS
>
> These groups joined Schoolforge in March of 2002:
>
>* Opifex Consutoria e treinamento Ltda.
>
> Empresa voltada a consultoria e implantação de softwares livres (FreeBSD,
>Linux), busca orientar escolas e entidades de ensino no uso destes
softwares e
>suas possibilidades.
>(http://200.180.4.160)
>Contact Edilson Prudencio edilsonep@ig.com.br
>
>* South West (UK) Linux User Group
>
>We are a Linux User group covering the South West of the UK. We have a
section
>of the site devoted to Linux @ School and several experienced members of our
>mailing list who are involved in Linux in school.
>(http://www.southwest.lug.org.uk)
>Contact David Johnson dj@david-web.co.uk
>
>*Bangrakyai School
>
>Bangrakyai School is a primary school in Thailand.
>(http://BangrakyaiSchool.com)
>Contact Mr.Amorn Anantarak amorna@canada.com
>
>*SprachCaffe Languages PLUS
>
>The congregation of language schools in US, Canada, UK, Germany, France,
Spain,
>Italy, Malta and Cuba which  are providing language courses for English,
French,
>German, Spanish and Italian language in the countries of
> their origin.
> (http://www.sprachcaffe.com)
> Contact Marcus Schaetzle info@sprachcaffe.com
>
>*Gnuduc
>
> Swedish consultant-firm for helping schools to deploy free software,
based on
>Debian GNU/Linux.
> (http://fredrik.liljegren.org/gnuduc/)
> Contact Fredrik Liljegren fredrik@liljegren.org
>
> *OpenUmbrella
>
>Open Umbrella (OU) is a non-profit organization created to promote the
adoption
>and use of open source software and related technologies. The programs of OU
>target public education and technical support of open source software with
>special emphasis on use in the public schools, small enterprises and other
>non-profit organizations.
>
>OU is a catalyst for change, pushing for the support and acceptance of open
>source in all aspects of mainstream society by enchancing life-long career
>development, quality content and training, technical support and local
community
>infrastructure.
>
>Our Mission is to promote the adoption and use of open software and related
>technologies and to provide a model for the global development of similar
>organizations.
>(http://www.openumbrella.org)
>Contact Wendy Chambers wchambers@openumbrella.org
>
>*User Friendly Developers Association
>
>We are a network of developers who have taken a pledge to make the world a
>better place with technology that is easy to use, secure, reasonably
priced and
>bug free.
>(http://ufda.net)
>Contact Chris Calise chris@oip.net
>
>*I.D.E.A.L. Technology Corporation
>
>I.D.E.A.L. stands for Integration Development Education All Linux. We are a
>Linux and Open Source-focused consulting services company. The company is
three
>years old, profitable and the fifth fastest growing high tech company in
Central
>Florida according to the Orlando Business Journal. Customers include the U.S.
>Army STRICOM, Lockheed Martin, Intersil, SGI, IBM and Toshiba plus many
smaller,
>regional companies. The relevent area of focus for SchoolForge is in using
Linux
>thin client technologies to assist in lowering the computer costs in
education.
>(http://www.idealcorp.com/)
>Contact Anthony Awtrey tony@idealcorp.com
>
>*Melbourne Linux Users Group, Inc.
>
>The MLUG is committed to advocating Linux and other Open Source software
in and
>around Melbourne, Florida (U.S.A). Our group's mission is to support
Linux's use
> [...]
parents, 2.
>to educate the children
>(http://)
>Contact Fr. Tariq Iscca kentariq@yahoo.com
>
>*Association For Free Software
>
>The AFFS is an organisation setup in the UK to promote Free Software to
users,
>business and Government We are a new organisation, but already planning to
lobby
>on behalf of Free Software in education.
>(http://www.affs.org.uk)
>Contact Richard Smedley richard.smedley@futurenet.co.uk
>
>*Beechwood Schools Ltd
>
>We are an independent primary school situated in South London (UK). The
school
>is committed to the use of open source software and runs Linux
workstations and
>servers throughout the organisation.
>(http://www.beechwoodschool.com)
>Contact Phil Marshall pm@beechwoodschool.com
>
>*Global Learning Outreach
>
>open source knowledge about the world, for the world
>(http://www.glo.org)
>Contact scott gruber scott@glo.org
>
>*Colegio Varela
>
>Educational non profit institution.
>(http://www.reu.edu.uy)
>Contact Prof. Marcelo Kruk webmaster@reu.edu.uy
>
>Berkeley County Schools
>
>Berkeley County School District 401 South Queen Street Martinsburg, WV 25401
>(http://boe.berk.k12.wv.us)
>Contact David L. Kenney boe_berk@access.k12.wv.us
>
>*Philadelphia Academy Charter School
>
>K-8 Charter school in Philadelphia PA with 680 students
>(http://?)
>Contact Tim Beaver tb72264@aol.com
>
>*Edgecombe County Schools
>
>14 Schools, 7 elementary, 4 middle schools, 3 high schools, and 1 Center for
>Educational Achievement(Alternative School)
>(http://schools.eastnet.ecu.edu/edgecomb)
>Contact Patsy Vickers pvickers@coastalnet.com
>
>*Tutor-web
>
>The tutor-web is a web-based system for presentation of teaching material,
>whether by a teacher in a class-room or a student for self-study. The system
>includes concepts of electronic slides, with pointers to additional material
>which can generate texbooks and on-line quizzes. The tutor-web only exists
as a
>web-based entity. All programs and content are publicly available. In
addition,
>any student is welcome to use the existing system without registration
into any
>physical school system.
>(http://tutor-web.net)
>Contact Gunnar Stefansson gunnar@hi.is
>

> <B>WORLD-WIDE DISTRIBUTION</B>
> <P>
> Schoolforge Member (projects) are located in these (21) countries so far:
> <P>
> Australia, Belize, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Finland, France, India,
>Italy,
> Greece, Mexico,  Norway, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, Thailand,
Turkey, UK,

HREF="mailto:david@members.iteachnet.org";>david@members.iteachnet.org</A><BR>