Re: [school-discuss] The Sakai Project

Sakai is a follow on to the uPortal project, which was pretty successful. It is meant to compete with products like WebCT or Blackboard. uPortal displaced commercial portals such as Campus Pipeline at many Universities. The Pipeline folks actually incorporated uPortal compatibility to try and stem the tide. Sakai will probably be as successful with courseware. The uPortal mantra was "by Universities for Universities".

Personally I think there are a lot of good light weight portal and courseware products right now. The big University folks seem to like java, java server pages, and high end hardware. Maybe those make sense on 20,000 to 40,000 student campuses.

uPortal info:
http://mis105.mis.udel.edu/ja-sig/uportal/

The JA-SIG:
http://www.ja-sig.org/

- cameron
--
- cameron miller
- UNIX systems administrator

Les Richardson wrote:
Hi,

Well, it looks impressive. The specs look impressive. It's a 2 year
project with a couple of million bucks involved and 4 very serious
institutions.
It's based on Enterprise level Java code.

We'll see how this plays out.... Just because it's open source doesn't
mean it's going to be a smashing success...

Les Richardson