Re: [school-discuss] The Sakai Project

Dr. Robert G. Rittenhouse wrote:
Cameron Miller wrote:

Personally I think there are a lot of good light weight portal and courseware products right now. The big University folks seem to like java, java server pages, and high end hardware. Maybe those make sense on 20,000 to 40,000 student campuses.

I do believe one of our local universities is running uPortal and they're under 5,000 students.

I'm personally really pleased to see systems such as this -- by schools for schools. This is the way a lot of academic computing worked when I was a grad student way back when. I think we're also beginning to see the same thing with respect to academic publishing.

We're currently using Blackboard -- we're looking at almost $10,000 licensing next year. I'm told WebCT pricing is about the same. We're engaged in a project to find an alternative.

Yes these types of projects are a really good thing.

For alternate courseware check out:
http://www.edutools.info/course/productinfo/index.jsp

They have a bunch of courseware reviewed and compared, proprietary and open source.

- cameron