[school-discuss] Re: Re: Creating a Stand-Alone Linux Computer with Dan's Guardian

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

For clarity and to support conversational discussion style, please use
bottom-posting format:  your reply goes below the material cited.  Trim
your quotes appropriately and ensure your attributions are accurate.

See:

    http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/email-style.html
    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html
    http://mailformat.dan.info/quoting/top-posting.html

Thank you.

on Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 07:28:43PM -0800, Michael Dean (michaelldean@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> >on Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 06:39:47AM -0700, Troy Banther
> >(troy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> >>Has anyone on the set up a stand alone Linux computer with an Internet
> >>filtering program?
> >>

> >Sure:  install Dansguardian, a context and origin-based filtering system.

> my suggestion is to use squid.  Also, remember, even if your Linux box
> is "standalone", it is still a server

Note that squid has filtering capabilities, but isn't, of and by itself,
a filter.

Dansguardian:

  - Filters known sites based on criteria (sex/porn, games, gambling,
    etc.)  You can pick which categories are or are not allowed.

  - Offers context/content filters based on weighted keywords.  A given
    word might not be sufficient to block a page by itself.  In context
    with other words, its score might be raised or lowered.

  - Self-reported site classifications.  I forget the particulars of the
    system, but it's a way for website authors to self-report as
    family-safe or not, by various classifications.

  - Filetype and extension-based blocking.

  - Copious options for customization to allow/disallow sites based on
    additional criteria.

I say use the right tool for the job, and Dansguardian is more so than
Squid.

That said:  the configuration I referred to used both DG *and* Squid.
DG provided filtering, Squid provided caching.  Bought us an 80%
bandwidth reduction to boot.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>        http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
    You mean you wish to surrender to me? Very well, I accept.