[school-discuss] Re: use on Dell

on Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 02:47:24AM +0200, Michael Shigorin (mike@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 04:55:44PM -0700, cdmiller wrote:
> > Current Poweredge 2650's use an adaptec RAID card for which the
> > Linux 2.6 drivers are unstable and slow.
>
> Hm, all the specs a quick search turned up seem to tell it has
> "Adaptec 7899" which is perfectly a hardware controller albeit not
> RAID-capable on itself IIRC.  Maybe Dell stacked something on top of
> that or did a different controller (most likely "HostRAID" junk or
> 79xx series), if that's the case then just turn off HostRAID option in
> its BIOS.
>
> Building software RAID on top of those worked just fine for me even
> with 2.4.2x kernels (three years ago 7899, last fall 79xx).  (I still
> look forward to build the first production server using 2.6.x series
> but that will be done this year if things go right)

A friend suggests that Dell's "PERC" RAID controllers may be an issue.
In part on account that 'PERC' (not sure what it stands for -- 'CERC'
was "cheap electronic raid controller") covers a multitude of sins.

I've suggested Dean provide additional HW data on the kit in question,
and suggested several tools for doing same.  Barring that, we're largely
left to speculation.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>        http://kmself.home.netcom.com/