Re: [school-discuss] [Fwd: Textbooks on OpenOffice.org]

Hi,

I think Open Office is great.  It does the job without the bloat.  In our
school board they like to teach specific applications (Word) instead of
wordprocessing concepts.  It's a very closed minded view and doesn't help
the students if they work at a job that doesn't use word.

When one of our secondary schools bought MS Office they never thought about
the students were unable to afford to buy Office for home to work on their
projects.  At one time we had Star Office and Open Office installed and wer=
planning to make copies of OO on cd from the school's library for home use
(install and return the cd).

Now parents have to spend money to buy office.

Jason

On 3/30/06, Michael Dean <mdean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Malc wrote:
> > Thanks! I also checked out visibooks.com and agree with you.
> > There is a future here. Having suffered in Africa with rotting and
> > moulding and expensive OUP text books, this will be a boon.
> > And re. Microsoft, well I guess Bill has enough bucks to last out the
> > course.
> >
> > Malc
> >
> > --- Mathiew Greenway <mattg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> >> The fact that OpenOffice.org is a product name and a web site creates
> >> confusion.
> >>
> >> The proper wording in this case should have been
> >> Books about OpenOffice.org have been published and are available at
> >> http://www.visibooks.com
> >>
> > .
> I have been following openoffice since its beginning.  Sun was adamant
> about using only openoffice.org such that everyone in the world knew
> where they could go to get information about the programs, download
> them, or seek out an "authorized" distributor.  This kept control of
> distribution where it belongs, with the copyright holder and its
> development community.  This also keeps down the downright chicanery and
> deceit by opportunists who would want everyone to believe openoffice is
> really ms office etc. or claim exclusivity and sell openoffice for big
> bucks, ad infinitum.  I can live with the slight confusion.

------=_Part_3276_33317829.1143748297628

Hi,<br><br>I think Open Office is great.&nbsp; It does the job without the =
bloat.&nbsp; In our school board they like to teach specific applications (=
Word) instead of wordprocessing concepts.&nbsp; It's a very closed minded v=
iew and doesn't help the students if they work at a job that doesn't use wo=
rd.
ht about the students were unable to afford to buy Office for home to work =
on their projects.&nbsp; At one time we had Star Office and Open Office ins=
talled and were planning to make copies of OO on cd from the school's libra=
ry for home use (install and return the cd).
Michael Dean</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:mdean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx";>mdean@sourcevi=
ew.com
</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-lef=
t: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1=
ex;">Malc wrote:<br>&gt; Thanks! I also checked out <a href=3D"http://visib=
ooks.com">
visibooks.com</a> and agree with you.<br>&gt; There is a future here. Havin=
g suffered in Africa with rotting and<br>&gt; moulding and expensive OUP te=
xt books, this will be a boon.<br>&gt; And re. Microsoft, well I guess Bill=
 has enough bucks to last out the
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:mattg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";>mattg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</a>&gt; =
t name and a web site creates
case should have been<br>&gt;&gt; Books about OpenOffice.org have been publ=
ished and are available at<br>&gt;&gt; <a href=3D"http://www.visibooks.com"=

 openoffice since its beginning.&nbsp;&nbsp;Sun was adamant<br>about using =
only <a href=3D"http://openoffice.org";>openoffice.org</a> such that everyon=
e in the world knew
them, or seek out an &quot;authorized&quot; distributor.&nbsp;&nbsp;This ke=
pt control of<br>distribution where it belongs, with the copyright holder a=
nd its
icanery and<br>deceit by opportunists who would want everyone to believe op=
enoffice is<br>really ms office etc. or claim exclusivity and sell openoffi=
ce for big

------=_Part_3276_33317829.1143748297628--