Re: [school-discuss] Victoria Australia banning YouTube from schools

Hi John, that is a nice website. Welcome to the discussion list, too :) I would suggest that on the view_video page, in the box for video details (where "tags" and "channels" is displayed), that a line is included that shows the license of the video which could be entered when the user is submitting the video.

On a website that I worked with where they wanted to allow music uploads, I suggested a field like this on the input form - and they agreed (but not completely understanding why it was necessary.) I was entirely thrilled when I saw that some people were uploading their songs and putting creative commons licenses on them - without any encouragement!

For videos released under open licenses, possibly including download links to the video in other formats (avi, mpg, etc) would increase the portability of the videos and give teachers more options/ability to present the videos - places that may not have internet access in the classrooms, a teacher might be able to download the video at home - burn it to a cd or dvd and then bring it in to the classroom.