Re: [school-discuss] I'm back too; update on Brandon and Atlanta Public School

On 3/17/07, Daniel Howard <dhhoward@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have therefore proposed to Atlanta Public Schools that they consider
hiring a cadre of university co-op students from local engineering
schools (Ga Tech, e.g.) to do local support for schools.  Most Tech
students are pretty Linux friendly now.  Further, this creates the
potential for these students to choose to hire with their co-op employer
after graduation, thereby infusing new blood into the school district's
IT department and maybe even encouraging some of them to get certified
as teachers.  Since last year, the entire state of Georgia only
graduated 1 science teacher, my thinking is that this is the only way
we'll get qualified engineers/scientists to choose education: by getting
them into the schools during college.  Brandon Elementary has already
decided to do this (since William and I are moving on after this year),
and the PTA has agreed to fund the co-op student.  Will let you all know
how this works out.

Regards,
Daniel

--
Daniel Howard
President and CEO

hello and soon thank you very much for your email which i most agree with

i plan to arrange something similar here where i live (Catania,
Sicily) even if the funding looks really harder here :)

anyway, i would like to keep in touch with your plans of work e.g. via a website
i am planning to set up an EDU-OpenSource program for high school
students starting from Fall 2007, so i need to share experiences with
others

thank you again !
--
roberto