[school-discuss] I'm back too; update on Brandon and Atlanta Public School

Looks like I'm getting schoolforge mail again too. Here's a quick update on Brandon Elementary and on Atlanta Public Schools K12LTSP rollout, forgive me if William already posted an update and I missed it due to Comcast blocking.

Morris Brandon Elementary now has a 2:1 ratio of students to PCs in each class grades K-4 thanks to APS buying all new HP thin clients and HP servers for Brandon and 6 other Pilot schools in the district. The other schools love it, and to quote one middle school principal "This is the best thing Operational Technology has done for us...my kid's math scores are already up, and no one can tell me this is not a good thing for schools." And, our principal has said "TeacherTool is a must have." She also told me that with all the computers in the classrooms now, the control/management functionality is critical to making it work. Plus, at another pilot middle school, they're using TeacherTool and a webcam on a piece of paper projected on a whiteboard to completely replace the functionality of SmartBoards for far less cost and greater functionality.

Also, we took the existing Ntavo thin clients we had and put a thin client on every desk in our fifth grade classrooms. My mother-in-law and I velcro'ed the LCD monitors to the top of the desks, and lashed the thin clients to the side of the desks using cable ties. The keyboards, when not in use, are set upright on their short side against the monitors of the desk which is abutted opposite a given desk, so when not in use, the LCD monitors, keyboard and mouse only take up the top 3 inches of the desk, leaving enough space for the students to do other work. With a 1:1 in the 5th grades, teachers are using TeacherTool to give paperless quizzes and tests, and just the reduction in copying time has been a productivity improvement for the teachers. William is also to be credited for Brandon's web site, with drop boxes for teachers, students, and parents to easily transfer documents to/from school.

I'm now getting calls from other schools in the US about our rollout and how they could do it. My basic advice is that if you want to roll your own, unless you have an equivalent of Jim Kinney here in Atlanta or a Steve Hargadon, to do the classroom server model, and still make sure you have someone who will support it locally if possible just to replug cables knocked out by fidgety feet, or reboot servers, etc.

I have therefore proposed to Atlanta Public Schools that they consider hiring a cadre of university co-op students from local engineering schools (Ga Tech, e.g.) to do local support for schools. Most Tech students are pretty Linux friendly now. Further, this creates the potential for these students to choose to hire with their co-op employer after graduation, thereby infusing new blood into the school district's IT department and maybe even encouraging some of them to get certified as teachers. Since last year, the entire state of Georgia only graduated 1 science teacher, my thinking is that this is the only way we'll get qualified engineers/scientists to choose education: by getting them into the schools during college. Brandon Elementary has already decided to do this (since William and I are moving on after this year), and the PTA has agreed to fund the co-op student. Will let you all know how this works out.

There's lots more, but now that Comcast has stopped blocking the SchoolForge emails, I'll pass on more in subsequent emails.

Regards,
Daniel

--
Daniel Howard