Re: [school-discuss] Walmart Sells Linux Boxes

We purchased this computer for my mother-in-law for Christmas.  She was already
used to using Firefox, Thunderbird, and Gaim . . . so it has been great.

I just found out a couple of weeks ago that I got a CATE grant, so I am buying 7
of these to build my Render Farm.  Hope that some of you will be able to help me
with this!  Marcos from Musix has given me some direction.

Marilyn

Quoting Joel Kahn <jj2kk4@xxxxxxxxx>:

> James P. Kinney III wrote:
> >For a small system they were OK but with a heavy
> >desktop like KDE or Gnome they were struggling.
>
> That's probably why they shipped with Enlightenment
> instead of one of the big boys. With 512MB of RAM,
> thin client is not necessarily the best way to go;
> after all, we've just recently been talking about
> Puppy, Damn Small, and those kinds of mini-distros.
> As long as OpenOffice &c can run decently. . . .
>
> Joel

> http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

:)