Re: [school-discuss] "Educating Tux" + IT apathy

Marilyn, you nailed the process on the head that led to the current
mess. Sometime along the early to mid 90's IT in schools was seen as the
next big power playhouse. Anyone who had even vaguely seen a computer in
college was quickly promoted up the ranks. Since they were not "computer
people" by training they were in over their head (the real computer
people had no chance of moving up as "they were not management
material"). The natural solution, as is almost always the case (I now
work at Google where this is NOT the case!), is to keep the current
position secure by making certain that the next crop of underlings is
not going to threaten the upper positions by figuring out what the boss
doesn't know. That mentality is endemic (or should that be pandemic?)
and over 10 years the IT organization grows dumber. Next they try to get
entry level windows techs to try and admin clusters of high-end Linux
servers with hundreds of simultaneous users.

Another factor of this is the experience of most teachers is with
Windows. And that experience is computers stink! Those do. Like rotten
meat on a warm day.

I _really_ liked your banquet table metaphor. But the brown sugar is in
reality an artificially sweetened hypnotic cleverly designed to make the
worms more palatable.

--
James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering