[school-discuss] FOSS and FOOD [Was Re: "Educating Tux" + IT apathy]

Marilyn -

Add me to the list of people that think your banquet analogy is fantastic.

Next week I am speaking about FOSS and education at MassCue and a couple of weeks after that I am running Vermont's first Open Source and Education conference and I would like to use your analogy in both places. I was thinking about modifying in the following way:

"Using Open Source in Schools can be a bit surreal - imagine the following:

It is lunch time at your school and all the kids troop down to the dining hall, which is divided in half with a large glass wall down the middle. On one side, the majority of students are charged for a lunch of mystery meat and instant mash potatoes. On the other side is a huge buffet of amazing international foods that is all you can eat and free. Standing at the entrance to the dining hall is the Assistant Superintendent for Technology, telling everyone that they must go into the mystery meat room. Occasionally, someone will find a worm or some other horrible thing in the meat, complain loudly, dump the plate and then...surreally...get right back in line for another serving. Because some students notice what is happening on the other side of the glass wall, they ask if they can go into that room. They are told no, because most of the world eats mystery meat, there might be spices in the foreign food and besides, they just put salt and pepper in the mystery meat so it is really better now. The more determined of the kids wait until the Ass. Sup. of Tech is distracted and sneak into room, enjoy a fabulous lunch and start telling their friends about it on the playground. So the next day, their friends sneak past...."

Thanks for the great post.

Bryant Patten
Executive Director
National Center for Open Source and Education
www.ncose.org