RE: [school-discuss] "Educating Tux" + IT apathy

Hi, Marilyn,

I like your attitude.
All that we can do in life is create and demonstrate better
alternatives.

You are right -- there are some "good ones" in skools, despite plenty of
bad ones.
Even in Rural Texas. (Bizness, ma and pa, students, bureaucrats and
teachers.)
It was just like that in New Hampshire where I taught.

Things are as they are because that is what they think they want.

And the greedy, stupid Ruling Class thinks that what it wants is a
crippled, stupid underclass.
And the crippled, stupid underclass thinks it wants what the greedy,
stupid Ruling Class has.

And the chain breaker is purported to be Education, but the chain maker
IS
(too often) Education. (Skool, Media, and Church, and Country.)

--------
So, on to the ALTERNATIVES!
- Linux
- FOSS
- better access to the internet with recycled "thin clients"
- student-generated art galleries
- cheap Wiimote-based whiteboards
- strong, informed, revolutionary adults (M/F)
- Real problems needing solving...
	-> how do things break?
	-> how to make things strong?
	-> how to approach the unknown (and other scary problems)
	-> where are the resources?
	-> isn't our blue planet beautiful, interesting and fun?
	-> what is it like to be grown up?
	-> what do the boys like?
	-> what do the girls like?
	-> what do I like?
	-> what do other animals like?
	-> how do you talk to others?
	-> how do you work with others?
	(add to list)
- inclusive community
- individual accountability
- failure AND Another Chance
- diverse peoples
- multiple stories

(keep on adding to list. Please.)

FINALLY:
Arise ye slaves of exploitation!
Arise ye wretched of the earth!
For justice thunders condemnation:
A better world's in birth!

Zeus Bless y'All on this list for trying!