Re: [school-discuss] Smallest Linux Footprint

You guys are fast...

Lee Rogers gave  a similar response to the one I would give with a caveat.

Check the website of the product:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01296246&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=3638802&prodTypeId=12454

It seems this is a Neoware thin Client...   Maybe HOP bought them out as I thought Neoware was an independent company not long ago..  Anyhow, it is important to know the chipsets...

This one uses the Via eden CPU and I will assume a via north/south as the Eden is not an SoC. I once read that VIA opened up all its chips to the open source community, thus there could/should be drivers for their chips in Linux distros.

By the online specs  the cpu is1ghz or  800mhz  I have a bit of experience using these chips and just as an estimate I would say they are equivalent to around 20% less user felt speed over an Intel Celeron. Someone else may have some benchmarks to give a more accurate answer there...  This means figure a user speed of something like a 600 - 700 mhz celeron...

The resident Linux distro on this computer is Neolinux
see:
http://www.linuxdevices.com/products/PD4856462870.html
http://www.thincomputing.net/blog/neoware-launches-new-linux-version-neolinux-4.0-for-thin-cl.html

So the question is.. where do you load the OS...  these uits come with 128 to 1gb flash memory..  I am assuming that is bootable... is it bootable via USB or other method...

And earlier suggestion for Knoppix on Cd will not work.. there is no CD drive on a thin client

Lee suggest trying various distros...  just give them a go and see what seems a nice fit...  Puppy is one of my favorites for older and slower equipment ... on fast modern CPU's it really moves fast...  Ubuntu is full featured and has an amazing user community... anyhow it is up to the user... give them a shot... see what seems nice...

cheers
tim

John "Tim"  Denny, Ph.D.
  Consultant - International Development, Education  and ICT
  http://www.avuedigitalservices.com/VR/drjtdenny
 Join Joomla! Users Group Cambodia  - http://groups.google.com/group/jugcam
  SKYPE - jtdenny    Googletalk - denny.jt
  http://www.linkedin.com/in/jtdenny

"The diligent farmer plants trees of which he himself will never see the fruit." Cicero (106-43 BCE)