Re: [school-discuss] Smallest Linux Footprint

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 09:23:39PM -0500, Stewart Ives wrote:
> All,
> Thank you all for your input.
> I have passed it all along.

JFYI, our CTO used to do Linux + X for known hardware
configuration in 16Mb flash.  I'd do 256M flash any day,
and would probably consider doing 128M if it was really
worth it (though guess no one would buy my service on
sub-10K batches of those... if 128M media is still
available in these quantities ;-).

DSL probably already got mentioned as well.

They might also consider LTSP.  Several distros carry it by now,
I've authored one based on ALT Linux and used in Russian school
project; ISO images of generic one available here:

ftp://ftp.altlinux.org/pub/distributions/ALTLinux/4.0/Terminal

Any PXE boot capable i586+ systems with 16M RAM or more would
highly probably do as thin clients, and there's a mini ISO
generated during install for systems without netboot ROM.

> > I suggested they look at the Knoppix CD load as that is around 650MB
> > in size and they would be able to burn it into the 1GB ROM without
> > any problem.

There's no such thing as "1GB ROM" AFAIH.  Flash, yes.

 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>