Re: [school-discuss] Open Source CD distribution

As far as GNU/Linux goes, anyone with administrator rights can use the
synaptic package management system on debian-based distributions to
install/uninstall programs. It's also very easy to check for updates
and update programs at the command line. On Fedora-based systems, it's
likewise fairly easy to do this.

I'll discuss this more when I post my review on skolelinux (http://slx.no/).

regards,
Daniel Villarreal
http://youcanlinux.org/

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 6:41 PM, LM <lmemsm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 3/16/12, Bill Ries-Knight <steelhoof@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The idea of selecting what apps will also depend on the various installers.
>> ÂFedora, SUSE, Ubuntu... the list goes on and there are few options that
>> will fit all for a single disk.
>>

> My audience for the tech conference is going to be Windows users, so I
> want to provide Open Source Windows applications. ÂUsually what
> version of Windows the user runs isn't that much of an issue. ÂI've
> been researching how to work out the portability aspects for Linux
> systems and I've seen several projects that try to solve the problems.
> ÂThere is PortableLinuxApps ( http://portablelinuxapps.org/ ), Linux
> Standard Base (
> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/lsb ), CDE (
> http://www.stanford.edu/~pgbovine/cde.html ), projects like
> ZeroInstall ( http://0install.net/ ), stow and xstow, compiling with
> rpath and %origin, setting LD_RUN_PATH or LD_LIBRARY_PATH. ÂFreeBSD
> has a method of creating more portable packages for the PC-BSD system.
> There's a list of methods for creating portable applications on Linux here:
> http://hacktolive.org/wiki/Methods_for_Portable_Applications_on_Linux
> I keep thinking if you can separate the operating system from the
> application's runtime libraries, you'd make the applications more
> portable. ÂOn Windows, it doesn't matter if your operating system was
> built by the same C/C++ compiler you're using to build your
> applications or not. ÂOn Linux, they're intrinsically tied together
> and if you update your compiler and kernel to incompatible C libraries
> (like a different version of glibc) that replace your current
> libraries, you need to rebuild the system from source. ÂWould like to
> see a separation here and using something like LSB, another compiler
> or a cross-compiler might possibly achieve that.
>
> Would be very interested in hearing what others think of the methods
> to make applications more portable on Linux and in hearing what others
> have found were pros and cons for using any of them.
>
> Sincerely,
> Laura
> http://www.distasis.com/cpp
> ###
> To unsubscribe from the schoolforge-discuss mailing list:
> Send an e-mail message to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with no subject
> and a body of "unsubscribe schoolforge-discuss"
###