[school-discuss] Inventory

I've just been given a new task:

We have our inventory on a DOS dBase system, which is an ugly, nasty
beast (pretty cool when it was written 8+ years ago, but...). It
hasn't been updated, and now one school's principal is asking that I
make it web-based so that everyone can update his/her own room's
inventory without filtering lotsa dead trees through the
secretaries.  I spent about an hour yesterday starting to write a
PHP/mySQl inventory database, but then thought that maybe somebody
here already uses and likes one from the OSS community. Doing a
search on sourceforge for 'inventory' comes up with many, many hits,
but none of them I perused was just what I'm looking for.

Here's what I want:
Inventory categorized by building and room.
All items should have a place for a description, purchase date,
price, quantity, vendor, and type (see below for 'type').
'Types' can have their own extraneous information that other 'types'
don't. (e.g. for the computer 'type', I want to keep track of CPU,
RAM size, HDD size, and OS; book 'type' has an ISBN, author,
edition, and copyright date)

Anybody have anything that resembles this?

If not, any interest in it assuming I get it finished? :-)

--
Kyle Hutson /  Director of Technology  / Rock Creek Schools:  USD323

smyle@rockcreekschools.org                              785-494-8591

Actually I am a laboratory mouse posing as an engineer as part of an

               elaborate plot to take over the world