Re: [school-discuss] [Fwd: How could we be part of this]

Doug Loss wrote:

> I just received this from Mr. Kaberia:
>
> Kirimi Kaberia wrote:
>

>>Dear Doug,
>>
>>I am the president of ATCnet in Africa and would like to get help
>>developing a school network in a rural district in East Africa. I
>>am looking at about 100 schools all of which are in a highly
>>mountainous region and quite rural. They have telephone
>>and electricity, some have computers others are in our list to
>>provide computers. We would like to set up a network that is not
>>necessarily linked to the ISPN except for the phone connection.
>>Our biggest handle is the servers to use and the software. Could
>>your group help us. Let me know what we need to do to actually get
>>the teaching materials for the various classes in math, computer,
>>biology, chemistry for mostly high school level students. Also in
>>high need is the curriculum for computer literacy for both kids
>>and adults. I would like to discuss the possibilities here. I
>>think there is a lot that we can do to make it happen together but
>>I do not have the final solution. How can I reach you. I can be
>>reached at 703 658 6333 or by replying to this email directly.
>>Keep up the good work.
>>
>>Kirimi Kaberia
>>
>>President
>>
>>ATCnet
>>
>>703 658 6333
>>

> What do you all think we can do to help him in this venture?

Obviously LINUX is the solution for the software part of his problem.
But then there still is hardware necessary. And the teachers must be
trained. You cannot give computers or software away and let the teachers
untrained. So the question is: Who has the capabilities to offer the
necessary training and support? Plus the obvious travel cost?

Best whishes
Karl

--
Dr. Karl Sarnow