Re: [school-discuss] YOUTH Technology Summit -- planning and getting some local press

> Impressive, Mark. Great pict. How did you (as I'm sure you did) work in
> free/open source?

The open source parts are solid in my statements, but it seems to be clumsy
in its reception. So, I'd like to talk about this and get some coaching from
you all. Or, perhaps, this is to be expected?

On one hand, Pittsburgh is an old-school town, lump of coal mentality in
banking yet with Westinghouse inventions and patents galore. But on the
other hand we have CMU, SuperComputers, and aspire to a high-tech image.

The community efforts I try to advance, I say, are not for myself as
everything I do and learn is documented and put into the public domain. To a
fault, I'm posting into open archives. I'm a volunteer with a time
investment. But I don't want to have others re-invent the wheel. I want us
all to be more effective.

I've even taken an OPEN Source approach with talks about opening a closed,
indoor ice rink owned by the city. You tell me stuff, I'll post it. Keep
secrets to yourself. But, the developers or city rec people who are going to
try to reopen this facility to everyone's benefit -- is going to have to do
due diligence. Putting lists and pointers together of possible teams for
rentals, etc., is prudent work and valued if it is open, easily accessible,
and takes all comers/comments.

With the YOUTH Technology Summit, now we are in idea stages. Just planting
the seeds, but doing mostly the listening. Who should be involved? What is
the state of technology, society, our kids, city-life, etc.

The tactics and implementation of a summit is going to be much harder to
manage than just talk about, however. And, our goal is to make the event so
large with many sub-events that the main dance can't be owned by any one
agency or institution. Ownership can happen in the sub-events that lead-up
to the summit.

But, this is yet to get any fanfare in the media. Time will tell.

Ta.

Mark Rauterkus
mark@Rauterkus.com  http://Rauterkus.com
http://CLOH.Org   http://Sunnyhill.org    http://www.Deliberate.com