Re: [school-discuss] Passwords for kids?

On Sunday 16 May 2004 03:09, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> Sort of an oddball question, but...
>
> I'm working in a youth center with a ten-system computer lab, 80+ kids
> using it so far, Samba domain.
>
> Kids are anywhere from 6 to 18.
>
> _Most_ of them can deal with passwords.  A few can't spell their own
> names (and most of 'em could use better typing skillz -- not to mention
> a far more discriminating taste in music....).
>
> But for a fair number of 'em, particulary the younger set, and a few
> others with learning disabilities, remembering passwords seems to be
> beyond the possible.  Anyone have experience with setting up accounts
> for kids?
>
> Primary login is WinXP.  Even here, the three-field login (username,
> pass, logon target (workstation/domain) is confusing.
Technical solutions in this particular cenario are expensive. Chipcard login,
e.g.

I would suggest a let me call it social solution.
Try to establish teams where younger students, handicaped and older students
use computers together. This could be a tutorial courses ore special startup
courses.

I beleve so it might be possible to catch two flies at once, as we say in
germany. Better communication between young, oldern and handicaped Students.
This will be good for better social interaction. And it might be a way for a
kind of self qualification and care for each other.

Due to my experience even young and handicaped students are able to learn how
to use a computer. They just need more time and more assistance / guidance.

Bye,
Thomas