Re: [school-discuss] [Fwd: moving from Windows 2000 -> linux]

I taught typing and used Ktouch and Gtypist mostly. TuxType is a cool game, but often the students leave the home row to try to achieve speed. Ktouch is graphic and shows the keys as you type. Gtypist is text-based, but I was able to write my own tests with Gtypist . . . plus it gives a score every time which was pretty blame handy for grading. We worked out of a typing text book as well, so I put the typing tests from the text into my weekly Gtypist tests. The students knew that each weekly test covered the materials from this page to that page. Also, it seemed to work better to require 45 minutes of practice each day, with the students knowing they had to master certain skills by the end of the week . . . . rather than assigning specific lessons each day. Also, their hands were covered for the test.

jwaddell@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Doug and Marc,

I'm forwarding this in the hope that we can collectively provide Marc
with some help.  Please include his email address at Ravenswood in your
reply.  Thanks.

Doug