[school-discuss] Remote GUI access (was Re: Emulation via Windows)

on Mon, May 30, 2005 at 11:55:56AM +0200, Jimmy Pierre (jpierre@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>  <http://www.cisware.com>
>
> Has anybody got any experience on running some sort of Terminal Server
> on a linux box and connect via a Windows Box?

FYI, that's generally referred to as "remote access" rather than
"emulation".

Several options, the main factors are server load and users supported
(dozens to ~100 clients under X, for light loads, vs. a dozen or so VNC
clients), and security -- few of these methods offer integrated
security, and may not be suitable for open networks as passwords and
other data are transmitted "in the clear".  Securing the systems via SSH
tunnels or systems such as FreeSWAN are possible, but require additional
effort.

   - X server.  Install an X server on the legacy MS Windows box.  You
     then connect to a GNU/Linux system for applications.  Using XDMCP
     (X display manager control protocol) will provide the user with a
     user/pass login.  This is probably your best bet and the most
     widely used solution.

     Advantages:  simple, low cost, fast, low server load, many users
         per server (20-40+).
     Disadvantages:  unsecured, not appropriate for open / unswitched
         networks.  May be tunneled over SSH for security.

   - VNC  Users run VNC client on desktop, connect to VNC server.
     Running servers out of inetd / xinetd allows for automated
     connections (but no session persistance).

     Advantages:  minimal client software.
     Disadvantages:  heavier server load, slower than X, unsecured,
         fewer clients / server than X.  May be tunneled over SSH for
         security.

   - NoMachines "NX".  Haven't used it, though it's supposed to be
     faster/lighter than VNC, and offers built-in security.

I'd recommend trying  the X server solution first.  There are several
free X servers available for legacy MS Windows, of which the XMing
server is free, fast, and can be run from CD.

    http://freedesktop.org/Xming

For run-from-CD, I found that copying the Xming directory tree to a CD
and launching 'xlaunch' from the CD a no-install X server is possible.
Neat as a demo.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>        http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
    So it is down to you, and it is down to me. If you wish her dead, by