Re: [school-discuss] Converting 600 old laptops into K12LTSP thin clients for 1:1 ratio at a middle school

Here's a high level stategy:
1) Determine if the systems are the same or not
2) If they are the same - CPU, RAM, devices ... then load the distro
   you are considering - SKolelinux, Edubuntu, ....
	- If the system is configurable to what you wish to do
		* Consider setting up  the network so you can boot
                  and build from the network
		* Consider extracting the hard drives and boot from CD
                  if possible
		* 600 machines is alot to manually configure - but
                  you could configure each one manually

I suspect the drives are a bit old and errors are creeping up.  I'd opt
to see about running diskless if possible.

While checking out the systems, get a number of people involved.  You
need to get enough tech support to make the conversion workable.  This
is a part many neglect until the last minute.  You can show the basic
capabilities - but need alot of support to deploy and more importantly
maintain the systems.

Rich

--

GPG/PGP Key Id: 1B257AEC from pgp.mit.edu

Remember, all Windows machines are, by definition, fault tolerant.

              They run Windows don't they!!