Re: [school-discuss] KSayit

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 01:50:56PM -0500, marilyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>    Hi!
>
>    In the past I have used KSayit for students to type a composition and
>    listen to it read back to them.  In my current OS I can't get it to work -
>    or kttsmgr either.
>
>    Any hints?
>
>    Marilyn

Hi Marilyn - I'm guessing you've gone from KDE 3.5 to KDE 4.x or GNOME.
Looking at Ubuntu's Software Center on my Kubuntu 10.10 system, I searched
for "tts" and found "eSpeak Speech Synthesizer" (package: "espeak-gui")

It provides a window where you can type (or paste) text, and hit "Play"
to have it read aloud.  I played with it for all of 5 seconds.  I certainly
would prefer kttsmgr's more tightly-integrated approach (e.g., ask the
browser, word processor, etc. to read text directly), but it might be
suitable for your needs.

Good luck!

--
-bill!