Re: [school-discuss] wireless school/community network

Thanks Justin

Are you in California? I ask because of your email - if you are maybe you can visit an REI and pick up a couple of these: http://www.rei.com/product/814774/goal-zero-nomad-7-foldable-solar-panel

I am thinking something more along the lines of what was done for www.green-wifi.org   the REI solution is for portability Âwe need something cheaper and stationary Â- not to mentionÂbuild-ableÂlocally...  I am in SoutheastÂAsia

It comes with a 12volt output. I've been trying to run that through a low powered inverter, but it looks right now like that will only deliver a trickle charge. I think that there are many other configurations though, the power inverter may be just adding a ton of inefficiency.Â

To run a hot spot. I am reading that some routers such as the WRT54G (not sure if it does what you want, but is a classic because of the firmware hackability) it will run on as low as 4.5volts, and reportedly has high tolerances for more volts https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=19578

I did some hacking with a linksys wrt Âsome 6 or so years back... Âthe list of routers on the DDWRT and openwrt lists has grown considerably since then

I think a standard USB charging cable puts out 5 volts. You may need more power for the hot spots though, which is why the 12volt panel might be a good option. You will need to spend some time figuring out good ways to wire up the power.

as Âfar as I can see typically wifi routers use about 8-10 watts... Â thus Âyou need to calculate Âpanel that produces about 30% over that depending on the light conditions of the area where it will be placed and the amount of usage intended... Â surely there are some good panelÂcalculationÂmethods to utilize. Â I did this come years back in setting up a solar powered school lab in Cambodia.

Cheers
Tim