Re: [school-discuss] Which is the fastest Desktop distro forschools?

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 15:42, Cameron Miller wrote:
> Arjun Asthana wrote:
> > We are trying to promote Linux in schools. We have tied up with AMD to
> > provide PCs at low costs.
> >
> > We want to find the fastest desktop distro so that the users can feel the
> > value of Linux.
> >
> > I am in India. And the targeted audience is schools/students/teachers of
> > class 8,9,10,11,12.
> >
> > The distro neednt have edu software, we will provide this by downloading from
> > the internet, we want a fast booting, fast loading distro with a good GUI and
> > we are not hell bent on KDE/Gnome.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Arjun Asthana

I run the community site for the JDS Linux desktop. We're not affiliated
with Sun, but I know about their education programs and have good
relations with VP of the schools division.

A suggestion at this point. Sun's Java desktop system performs
exceptionally on AMD hardware. It uses older and more stable components
built to run on Windows 98 style hardware.

Contact me directly and I will arrange for free software for your school
via contacts in the Edusoft division at Sun. They are very generous with
schools and will give you all the administration utilities also.

webmaster@jdshelp.org