[school-discuss] Re: [IIEP] OER & FOSS - reply to Boris

Boris Vukovic wrote:
I’d like to first ask a practical question in keeping with the topic of Session 2 before commenting on Claude’s retort to my message on FOSS and OER.

What are the current options in terms of permissions handling in FOSS course management systems (CMS)? Plone would be a great example of flexible permissions architecture with roles and workflows, but Plone is not specifically a CMS. I know that EduCommons CMS is based on Plone, but the documentation is still sketchy (or have I missed a section on permissions?)

I am asking because I think a complete CMS should cater both to educators who wish to open their content and those who still wish for their content to stay locked-in for class-only uses. Furthermore, permissions should work on the level of content types. For example, being able to open all content for public access except for class discussions in cases where students decide to keep those private. Is there currently a FOSS solution that features such permissions architecture?

Not generally in Moodle yet although the topic has been brought up in discussion. Apparently will appear in the next version (see http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=50698#231592). As it stands courses in Moodle are either open to guests or not.
--
Rob Rittenhouse
McMurry University