Re: [school-discuss] Philosophy: Teachers with Admin Privileges or Not

Hi there!

Have I reinstalled an OS after trying out new software?  Not recently, but sure
. . . lots of times.  (I started using Linux in 1998.)  However, I have never
had to reinstall on the classroom computers because I tested it elsewhere
first.  Actually my teacher computer has usually been my testing station.

In my lab, the kids have their own accounts on their assigned computers.  They
can modify their desktops all they want (Ubuntu-Studio), but cannot install
anything.  Since they cannot modify desktops in other classrooms, they really
seem happy with that.

Since I have your attention, I am going to make a suggestion.  This is the
system that I think would make both teachers and system administrators the
happiest.  :)

I think all student stations should be run with live CD/DVDs or other bootable
media.  Data should be saved on flash drives or whatever (network storage would
be OK too).  I think that student stations should not have OSs installed on
them at all.

There should be numerous choices of live CDS.  They should be topical according
to subject area.  They should include every possible relevant available Open
Source Software Package.  They should already be setup to see the available
printers or network account directories.  They should not include any system
administration type software that could cause mischief anywhere.

So . . . a writing teacher comes into the computer lab.  Her students pop in
the
writing CD that includes the OpenOffice Suite, KOffice, AbiWord, LyX, Gnumeric,
Scribus, the Gimp,  Firefox . . . etc. . . . whatever software could be
relevant.

The science teacher comes in the lab and the students use a CD/DVD with all of
the science packages, LyX, Firefox, OpenOffice . . .

Elementary teachers use  . . . . whatever . . .

If teachers would have access to all of the OSS available in this manner - they
would be yippy skippy happy.  Teachers love choice!!  Students could modify
their desktops and save those settings plus their browser preferences on their
flash drives.  How easy would it be on the tech people if they only needed to
maintain hardware??

Teacher computers would probably need to have an OS on the hard drive I think.

One of the main reasons I did not go with live CDs this year is that they all
have too many mischief causing applications on them and I do not have the time
and/or expertise to make my own.

Could there be some sort of signature that the educational live media would
have
on them so they would be allowed and other bootables would not be allowed?

It is almost midnight and I still have to finish my lesson plans.  Gotta go.

The thin client thing is cool . . . but I would like this system better.

Enjoy your week!!

Marilyn