Re: [school-discuss] Major Linux school deployments

On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 05:12:03PM -0700, Jordan Erickson wrote:
> > Our biggest school is running 236 diskless clients off of one server.
> WOW. What are the server specs? I *have* to assume you aren't
> running 236 clients *at the same time* from this single server.

I think it's pretty possible these days, in Atlanta they did up
to 120 clients per server with 8Gb, 4 cores and 4Gbps:

---
The main boot/application servers were HP DL385 - Dual core, dual
processor AMD Opteron 285's with 8 GB RAM and 3 36GB SCSI drives
and 6 Gigabit ethernet (4 ports bonded to be one fat pipe to
provide DHCP and data to the clients). Each school has 1 to 5
application servers with 70 to 120 clients per server. Each
school also has a DL385 with 6 142GB SCSI drives acting as a
common storage area for students.
--- http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/SuccessStories#Local_Net_Solutions_installs_7_s

One can get 10GE, 16--32Gb RAM and eight cores for quite
reasonable prices by now.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>