Re: [school-discuss] Intel quad core vs AMD 6-core thin client server

Daniel

very interesting question as it brings up so many issues.... Â Âyou are asking toÂcompareÂtwo CPUs for the same purpose and then want to know which one is moreÂappropriate..

I was just browsing CPU benchmarks...not knowing which chips you are comparing I can only take a guess...

here is what I see...
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
AMD Phenom II X6 1075T          BM score Â6185  Âprice  $266
Intel Core2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.00GHzÂÂ BM score Â4,598 Â price Â$330

So if benchmarks mean anything then the AMD listed is 25% faster and 20% cheaper.... Â but what about power draw and any other issues that may come to play....

you then ask how about LTSP performance... Â I wonder... is the OS optimized for multicore usage? Âor does that matter?

But then what about GPU? Â are thin client environments dependent on GPU performance or does that not matter cause each thin client has it own mainboard? ÂÂ

Tim

j. Tim Denny, Ph.D.Â
ÂConsultant - International Development, Education and ICT
 SKYPE - jtdenny  Googletalk - denny.jt
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jtdenny
https://www.avuedigitalservices.com/VR/id130765695
"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue."
Gilbert Chesterton (1874-1936)ÂEnglish writer