Re: [school-discuss] Do Something Dot Org

I like this:
"brainstorm and come up with ways to create a series of recurring
local and/or regional events where we and others can present and
champion open source, demonstrate open source, teach open source, give
them open source to take home with them, etc.  There are many ways for
all of us to contribute to such an effort and we could brand it as a
Schoolforge sponsored event, with common templates for presentations
and documents and maybe drive more traffic and membership to this site
and list."

We also need docs.

I get that, as Charles said, the "sharing" language can sound watered
down.  We do have to convince people to check out great alternatives
-- and they are great.  On the other hand, I still think that
integrity also sells and FLOSS has that; we have to point it out well,
but it's something that's generally missing "out there."

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 12:20 AM, Casey Adams <jcaseyadams@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
>> are helpful and if we could do more to show the effectiveness of using free
>> and Open Source, that would be very helpful for Districts that haven't
>> accepted Open Source yet.  It's not just cost savings that will bring
>> schools over to Open Source.  Our District claims it's interested in cost
>> effective ideas and improvements, but I've yet to see them act on any of
>> them.  Other factors, like support when there are issues and just finding
>> ways to motivate people to change the status quo are important when
>> advocating Open Source to non Open Source users.  If we could work on some
>> ways to help people switch more easily, help motivate them and to make them
>> feel more secure about switching (letting people know that there are ways to
>> ensure support is available if needed and how to go about getting it), maybe
>> that would be useful.  I think more case studies and sharing some project
>> plans on how to implement these kinds of changes and what the results were
>> from switching would be very helpful.
>> We also have to keep in mind, some places FLOSS will make a difference on
>> a District level and as a standard and in some cases, it'll have to win
>> educators over one person at a time.  It would be nice if we could offer
>> resources, ideas, etc. for both these levels.  If Schoolforge members have
>> resources to help advocate Open Source, the web site might be a good place
>> to share them.  For instance, sharing slide shows on switching to Open
>> Source via the web or references (like http://www.ncose.org/node/3 which was
>> posted to the list a while back) can be very helpful.  Also, for those
>> wanting to make the switch, Schoolforge could offer help figuring out what
>> the best choices for the person or organization are.  The web site's
>> software list is a very good start in that direction, but being able to talk
>> to other users and ask pros and cons is also very important.
>> I think there's a lot of opportunity to share knowledge and resources, to
>> help let others know what's going on with projects and to inform people
>> what free and Open Source resources are currently available out there just
>> waiting to be used.
>> Sincerely,
>> Laura
>>
>> ----- End message from lmemsm@xxxxxxxxx -----
>>
>> --
>>
>> --
>> Come visit our new office!
>> NEW Office Address:
>> IKN E-Learning Center
>> 91 Suthisan (Soi Pracha Suk), Opposite Soi Inthamara 30
>> Din Daeng, Bangkok 10401
>> http://intknowledge.com
>> Map: http://ischoolnet.org/map
>>
>> Hosting, Design and Development: http://www.web4you.in.th
>>
>> NEW Mailing Address: PO Box 90, Suthisan Post Office
>> International Knowledge Networks, Co., Ltd.
>> Din Daeng, Bangkok 10321
>> Thailand
>> +66(0)84 329 1183 (cell); +66(0)2 693 8144 (Don't dial the zero (0)

http://intknowledge.com
For Schools: http://ischoolnet.org
For Teachers: http://flossed.org
For You: