Re: [school-discuss] Home school for dyslexic students

LM wrote:
On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 1:40 AM, Dirk Schouten
<d.schouten@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
We are looking for better voices than espeak.
Sounds horrible IMHO.

I had read that espeak did a pretty good job when
you consider how much less code there is to it
compared to an application like festival.  Would be
curious what you thought of flite (festival lite).

Here are some other links I turned up that might be
useful:

This one's asking for volunteers, so possibly
something we might want to add to the wiki list of
projects in need of volunteers: http://linux-speakup.org/projects.html http://linux-speakup.org/joinspeakup.html

Found source code for blinux which appears to be
what ADRIANE is using for text mode screen reading:
 http://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/blinux/src/

I checked wikipedia's list of screen readers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screen_readers

There were a couple of projects that it listed that
were Open Source: http://code.google.com/p/webanywhere/ http://the-brannons.com/edbrowse/

Would be nice to dig up a few references on how
distributions enabled better support for this type
of thing.  If there was a how-to, maybe more
distributions or interested users could add
support.

Sincerely, Laura ### To unsubscribe from the
schoolforge-discuss mailing list: Send an e-mail
message to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with no
subject and a body of "unsubscribe
schoolforge-discuss"

Hi Laura,
Thanks for the information and the links. That saves me a lot of time. I wish more people on this list would add links to their kind suggestions.

> I had read that espeak did a pretty good job when
> you consider how much less code there is to it
> compared to an application like festival.  Would be
> curious what you thought of flite (festival lite).

'pretty good job' depends on many qualities. We do not care that much about quantity of code vs. 'good job'. It's the end result for the listener that's our main concern. If it sounds bad, the listener does not blame the TTS voice (what's TTS?) but the application itself.

> Would be nice to dig up a few references on how
> distributions enabled better support for this type
> of thing.  If there was a how-to, maybe more
> distributions or interested users could add
> support.
Try this one for daisy-player
http://wyxs.net/web/ubuntu_daisy_player/

As soon as the voices in eBook-speaker are ready, I start the manual on that one.
Kind regards,
Dirk
--
Our Open Source projects for schools:
- Website@School (Content Management Learning System):

Media Action Projects: Sold out. See free PDF
On the use of media in education
http://utopia.knoware.nl/users/schoutdi/
Now also translated in Japanese