Re: [school-discuss] Rescuing a School Technology Program: Linux Thin-client Overview

Damir wrote:

Jeff Waddell pravi:

You say you gave up on the thin-client approach. What was the "straw that broke the camels back"? And can we help restart that effort?

Integrated graphics cards on clients!!
It's sis6502. I found no X driver for that card and used vesa driver. Slow. Slooooow.
Well, it's slow in windows95, too, you can see that slow scrolling efect and it was much worse in X.

Server is P4 3.0GHz, 1GB RAM, 100Mb/s network card connected to 100Mb/s switch, Linux Mandrake 10.1.

You will probably have a bit better luck if you double your RAM also. I'm using Dual Xeon 3.0GHz with 4GB RAM and 30 clients - it works OK. I've used in the past Dual PIII 1GHz processors with 2 GB RAM for 20 clients and it worked fairly well - a bit slow.

Clients (12) are HP Vectras VE (P166, 32MB RAM, sis chipset, integrated sis graphics and 10Mb/s network cards).

I will try to find some PCI graphics card and try ltsp again.

This year I need to teach some web desing/programming and xhtml and want to do that in quanta.

Damir

--
Al Dow
Cameron R-1 School District