Re: [school-discuss] Open Source Classroom Response Software "clickers"

So, do all receivers (once they decode the signal) return the same 'code' for a particular transmitter? (pardon my ignorance)

Yes, it is a simple binary number.

As well, how does one set particular transmitters to be unique? (ie. identify themselves)

That is what makes universal remotes so usefull in this type of application. Each device has its own ID code, which allows the TV and VCR to use the same remote because they listen for their ID before accepting a command. A cheap universal remote will have hundreds of different device ID's programmed in. The device ID's become the student ID's, and the commands become the different possible responses.

I assume that we want individual transmitters sending sending a code (ie. we can then record each transmitter's input (ie. it's ID code of some sort and Response Code of another sort).

Correct?

Yes, there are 4 or 5 different encoding schemes on a typical universal remote. Most are very similar. For instance, sony devices use a 5 bit ID followed by a 7 bit command. The number buttons on the remote generally send a simple binary equivalent as a series of short and long bursts of IR(like morse code). Most other encoding schemes are similar in structure, but the length of a short or long burst may be different for a phillips code. Also some encoding schemes use a 7 bit ID instead of 5 bit. So when you program a universal remote to work with your VCR you are really just picking the encoding scheme for the manufacturer and the device ID to match your device. For the sony codes there are 32 different IDs, so just using those you could nearly run a whole class with a single decoding algorithm. Add in a couple more encoding schemes and you could scale all the way up to large college lecture classes.

For a good explanation of the most common encoding schemes see <http://users.telenet.be/davshomepage/>