[school-discuss] So long windows... UPDATE

Hello everyone,

A little over two weeks ago I did a mass conversion of my class set of notebooks to SimplyMepis 6. I am happy to report that I am very satisfied with how things are going thus far. If I have had any issues they pertained to hardware problems but not software.

On another similar note, I received a compact flash to ide adapter today and successfully installed a 4GB CF drive as the primary drive running SimplyMepis 6 on one of my notebooks. It's exciting to see the potential of such technology.

I'm working on assembling a small K12LTSP experiment. I'm starting small to see if I can successfully build a small lab that has a server and a couple of notebooks as terminals. I have a Compaq ML350 server running dual P3-600's. The notebooks are Compaq Armada 3500s. I know this would not be adequate for regular classroom use, but I want to try it out first to see if I could be successful. Any advice???

Thanks for giving an open source newbie a place to share.

John Mitchell
Soddy Daisy, TN