Re: [school-discuss] Live CD: DIY vs. Distribution

I whole heartedly agree. In-fact I recently read an article in this month's Linux Format about this very topic, and I think it could help out greatly with the creation of a Schoolforge specific live distro. Which I also think is a great way to promote the technology, BTW.

Fedora 7 has a new tool included for creating Live Disks from you existing install. It looks very user friendly from a GUI standpoint, and would allow for a lot of flexibility in creating a top notch educational disk. Link below.

http://revisor.fedoraunity.org/

My magazine came with a disk of the current incarnation of Fedora 7. I can install and check it out to see if it really is as easy as they claim it to be.

Chris Gregan
Open Source Consultant/Founder
Aptenix LLC Desktop Solutions
New Market MD 21774
cgregan@xxxxxxxxxxx
240-422-9224

"Open source, open minds."

This message is confidential, intended only for the named recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that the dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error or are not the named recipient(s), please notify the sender at either the fax address or telephone number above and delete this message. Thank you.

Ben Armstrong wrote:
In an effort to turn something productive out of recent discussion relating
to this topic, I commend to anyone who is interested using a Do-It-Yourself
approach rather than contemplating making a separate distribution.  That is,
rather than relying on some third party to make a distribution that may or
may not serve your needs, tools exist today to allow anyone, with a minimum
of effort, to make a live CD, DVD or flash drive that is pure Debian or pure
Ubuntu.  This approach does not fork these well-known and well-supported
distributions, greatly reducing the risk of your venture and the time and
effort required to produce and support a usable live system that exactly
meets your needs.

With Debian-live (http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/) this is quite easy.
I use live-helper + live-initramfs with the Debian Jr. project, and provide
support for these packages on irc on #debian-live @ irc.oftc.net and on the
development mailing list.  So if you have questions about how your projects
might make use of these tools, I'd be happy to talk to you.

Ben
--
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg@xxxxxxxxxx