Re: The Kernel

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Erik Walthinsen wrote:

> In fact, this might be one of the ways SEUL pushes the envelope.

This isn't our job guys.  Remember a fella named Torvalds?  Used to live
in finland?  Whiz with source code?  That's his job.  We'd be defeating
the purpose of standardization if we hacked up a non-standard kernel.

> If we
> find that for instance a log-structured filesystem is better for end-user
> machines (reason: it survives ugly things like mounted power-off with
> almost *no* loss, *and* fsck's in fewer seconds than you have fingers even
> after that!), then we should seriously consider using it, if we can find
> one and "nurture" it.

An LFS would be REALLY pointless for the home user...  For all they care,
syslog.conf needs one line:
*.*					/dev/null

TTYL!

                            ---
                        Paul Anderson
		   paul @ geeky1.ebtech.net
    Author of Star Spek(a tongue in cheek pun on Star trek)
e-mail: starspek-request@lowdown.com with subscribe as the subject
I hear it's hilarious.               Maintainer of the Tips-HOWTO.
          http://www.netcom.com/~tonyh3/speck.html
      COFFEE.COM not found: A)dd more, R)eheat F)reak out.