Re: The Kernel

> This isn't our job guys.  Remember a fella named Torvalds?  Used to live
> in finland?  Whiz with source code?  That's his job.  We'd be defeating
> the purpose of standardization if we hacked up a non-standard kernel.
No, no, no.  Linus does the kernel.  There are very few (relatively)
things left to do that are new in the kernel.  The *VAST* majority of all
innovations must be done outside of the kernel.

> An LFS would be REALLY pointless for the home user...  For all they
> care, syslog.conf needs one line:
> *.*					/dev/null
No.  A log-structured *filesystem* is a type of filesystem that does
everything to disk in a semi-synchronous manner, using a "log" to put all
disk writes before putting them in the right place.  If the system
crashes, this "log" can be "played back" and the filesystem is back into a
clean state in seconds.  No more 5-10min ext2fs fscks every time Grandma
powers off the computer.

     Erik Walthinsen <omega@seul.org> - SEUL Project system architect
        __
       /  \                SEUL: Simple End-User Linux -
      |    | M E G A            Creating a Linux distribution
      _\  /_                         for the home or office user