Re: The Kernel

Þann 21-Jan-98 skrifar George Bonser:

> Offhand, I would say give it a shot.  I would like at some point to get
> together on IRC so we can put down exactly what needs working on, start
> assigning individuals to projects and setting goals for completion.

  The design for it, comes as a direct result of other development I'm doing,
and I'd probably implement it using the Qt library.  How does the Qt library
look to you guys?

> Your question raises a good point, I have no idea which GUI tools have
> been looked at, what impressions were of these tools, etc.  We are
> probably back to horses chasing carts though, since we have not yet even
> decided on a standard GUI.

  I downloaded WindowMaker yesterday, and am running it now on my Linux
machine, and must say that it looks good.  It is runnings stable, and no spooks
so far, and seems to be in line with GNU's implementation of OpenStep.  It is
also showing it might be simple to make a GUI frontend to create and activate
customized themes.

> There is also a tool out there for administration of networks with a lot
> of hosts and users called GASH or Group Administrator's SHell. It is
> possible to stick a Tk front end on it.  That is for carving out parts of
> an NIS domain and delegating authority for parts of it to different admins
> so that a central admin is not swamped with with every request in the
> domain.

  That sounds good... GUI front ends for things like that are needed, IMO.

Orn Einar Hansen                         oe.hansen@oehansen.pp.se
                                          oehansen@daimi.aau.dk
                                        voice+fax; +46 035 217194