Re: The Kernel (fwd)

OK, everyone, cool down.  This is supposed to be a technical discussion.

> Look at it this way.  Removing those drivers gives exactly the same
> performance boost of adding 2 256k simms. (Provided that you can get 500k
> out of there but I doubt it).  How much performance gain do you get from
> adding 1/2Meg of RAM?  If you have 4MEG, you probably get a lot.  If you
> have 32MEG, you will probably never notice it.
You will notice it because the kernel is *never* swapped out.  You add 500K
to the kernel, and you lose it permanently.  You can't swap it out and put
something else in its place.

> That is what I am getting at.  If you can document a significant
> performance boost, that would be worth considering. I am just skeptical of
> ACTUAL performance boost gained from this as opposed to problems.
RedHat has shown that a fully modular kernel is just as useful.  I have had
no problems with my systems at work, with anywhere from 2 to 4 SCSI cards
per machine.  I don't think performance is the only reason we should be
considering.  And it certainly is not a good reason to stick with the
status quo, either way, if the status quo is broken.

I haven't looked at how the Debian boot disks are built, nor their kernels.
I suppose I'll have to do that sometime soon to determine what exactly the
advantages and disadvantages are either way.

> 8MB SIMMS are $12 here.  For $24 you get a 32 times performance boost than
> stripping the SCSI drivers out of the kernel.
Not everyone has $24 for RAM, or even has space on the mobo for it.  And
the "performance boost", which is a non-issue as far as I care, wouldn't be
linear anyway.

As far as I am concerned, this issue should be put off until such time as
we actually do have to worry about it.  We have much more immediate issues
at hand, like the Core, and getting a basic distribution kicked off.
Please, hold off this discussion for a while until we are in a better
position to make these decisions.

TIA,
   Omega

     Erik Walthinsen <omega@seul.org> - SEUL Project system architect
        __
       /  \                SEUL: Simple End-User Linux -
      |    | M E G A            Creating a Linux distribution
      _\  /_                         for the home or office user