Re: The Kernel

On Sun, 18 Jan 1998, George Bonser wrote:

> Sould we apply some of the Linux Mama patches (Joliet file system, etc).

In a word, no.  It opens up a big can of worms and doesn't provide many
useful benefits, really.

Red Hat tried to monkey with their kernel in RH5 and broke it, now it
won't compile for many people.  Let's not make the same mistake.

Besides, the kernel will be part of the core, I believe; hate to play
around with it too much.

The only possible patch that I think would be worth considering would be
compressed or FAT32 filesystems.  Hopefully, the 2.2 kernel supporting
these natively will be available before we ship.