Re: The Kernel

On Sun, 18 Jan 1998, William T Wilson wrote:

> Red Hat tried to monkey with their kernel in RH5 and broke it, now it
> won't compile for many people.  Let's not make the same mistake.

That is not really true.  They went to libc6 without through testing and
created an environment where they cound not compile ANYTHING.  Debian has
not made that mistake. Red Hat is in an all-fired hurry to be the "first".
We should be the best.

My opinion is that there are several things in those patches that are
useful and the ones I suggest are stable and do not break anything (so
far).  They are more stable than some of the "stable" kernels that I have
seen.

> Besides, the kernel will be part of the core, I believe; hate to play
> around with it too much.

A binary kernel.

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org